The human body is an ideal habitat for helminths. According to medical research, 95% of the population, regardless of age, are carriers.
Parasites are living organisms that invade internal organs, feed on the cells and nutrients of the "host". They penetrate into any system of the body and are in the organ for many years or throughout a person's life. Some parasites do not cause significant disturbances in the life of their host. However, most of them lead to the development of disturbances in the work of the host organism.
Main penetration routes
Most parasites do not have their own nervous, cardiovascular systems. Their genitals throw tens and hundreds of thousands of eggs into the environment. The larvae and eggs are resistant and remain viable for a long time.
Experts identify the following ways of infecting the body with parasites:
- contaminated water and soil;
- poor processing of food (eating dirty vegetables or fruits, undercooked meat or fish);
- contacts with animals;
- insect bites;
- close contact with the carrier of the parasites;
- violation of personal hygiene rules.
Types of helminths
Today there are more than 300 species of parasites that can live inside the human body. Pinworms are quite common, which are medium-sized parasites up to 1 cm long. They affect the large and small intestines.
Let's take a closer look at the most common:
- Pinworms.These are medium-sized parasites up to 1 cm long that affect the large and small intestines. They are able to leave the rectum at night to lay eggs on skin folds and underwear. They penetrate into the body with dust, dirty hands, through linen and dishes.
- Toxocars.This parasite is found in the digestive tract of dogs (about eighty percent of puppies and fifty percent of adults are infected with it). However, thirty-seven percent of people are also carriers of this parasite. Toxocar eggs are excreted in the dog's feces into sand and soil. Infection occurs through dirty hands. Worms are capable of infecting the eyes, lungs, heart, brain, and muscles of a person.
- Ascaris.Parasites enter the human body with food, raw water, dirty hands, and are carried by flies and other insects. The length of the worm reaches forty centimeters. Roundworms feed on erythrocytes and nutrients, affect the brain, liver, eyes, heart of a person, and can cause allergies.
- Hookworms.The parasite enters the body through the skin when walking barefoot or with food. The size of the worms does not exceed 1. 5 centimeters, the larvae migrate and behave like roundworms. A feature of this helminthiasis is an itchy rash on the legs and severe anemia.
- Wide ribbon.Helminth is able to live in a person for twenty-five years and reaches ten meters in length. Infection occurs when eating insufficiently processed fish, crayfish, caviar and other seafood. The tapeworm is able to lead to anemia, intestinal obstruction.
- Pork and bull tapeworms.Enter the body with raw meat products. The life span is twenty years. The danger of infection lies in the ability of worms to penetrate the eyes and brain.
- Echinococci and alveococci.These parasites enter the body during contact with sick animals, drinking contaminated water, dirty berries and vegetables. The larvae infect the liver, lungs, bones, kidneys and lead to the development of cysts.
- Giardia.This parasite is often found in children's groups. Penetrates the body through dirty hands, toys, household items. Giardia leads to a decrease in immunity, appetite, memory, abdominal pain, the development of allergies, nervous disorders, and urinary incontinence.
Symptoms of helminthiasis
Parasites in the human body constantly release various toxins. This leads to disruption of internal organs, decreased immunity, the development of allergies, increased stress on the liver, destruction of the beneficial intestinal microflora.
These symptoms may indicate the presence of parasites:
- disorders in the functioning of the digestive system: diarrhea, increased gas production, irritable bowel syndrome, constipation;
- joint and muscle pain;
- bronchial asthma;
- anemia. Some helminths are able to feed on red blood cells;
- weight loss;
- mental disorders. Parasite toxins have a detrimental effect on the nervous system. As a result, a person becomes irritable, depressive states, panic attacks and so on;
- bruxism (teeth grinding during sleep);
- intestinal dysbiosis;
- decreased immunity. Some helminths suppress the production of immunoglobulin A, and a person is defenseless against viruses;
- inflammatory diseases of the respiratory system;
- oncology. Prolonged helminthiasis leads to the degeneration of epithelial cells into cancerous ones.
Disorders in the functioning of the digestive system can indicate parasite infestation: diarrhea, increased gas production, irritable bowel syndrome, constipation.
Sometimes a disease manifests itself as a mental disorder. Parasite toxins have a detrimental effect on the nervous system. As a result, a person becomes irritable, depressive states, panic attacks and so on.
There are specific symptoms that indicate a particular type of parasite:
- with ascariasis, the patient complains of dizziness, abdominal pain, nervousness, anxiety, nightmares;
- when pinworms penetrate, sleep disturbance, loss of appetite, itching in the anal area, nervousness will be noted;
- tapeworms cause diarrhea, liver pain, increased appetite. During the examination of feces, helminths are usually found.
If you suspect a parasite infestation, you should immediately consult a doctor. The doctor will be able to prescribe a comprehensive examination and effective medications that will remove worms from the body.
As part of the treatment of such diseases, anthelminthics are used that can effectively destroy worms.
According to the principle of influence, it is customary to divide them into 2 groups. The first of them causes inhibition of the processes of glucose entry into parasite cells. As a result, metabolic processes are blocked, and helminths die.
Anthelmintic drugs are indicated for combating various types of parasites, and some drugs for combined helminthiasis.
The second group of drugs is able to block nerve ganglia, which causes paralysis in worms. The duration of therapy with these funds is 3 days, and if necessary, the course is repeated.
There are herbal remedies on the pharmaceutical market to get rid of parasites. These medicines help to cleanse the body of helminths and their toxins. As a result, metabolism is normalized, immunity is increased. To achieve a therapeutic effect, the course of treatment is 1 to 3 months. Further, a special drug is used, which helps to remove the remains of the bodies of parasites from the body, protecting against intoxication due to the decomposition of worms.
How to take antiparasitic drugs?
Anthelminthic medicines are freely available in pharmacies and do not require a doctor's prescription.Remember:Self-medication can have negative effects on your health. That is why only a doctor should prescribe the drug and only after the examination. After all, not all drugs are able to affect both tape and round helminths.
Often, doctors prescribe several anthelmintics at once for complex treatment.
The following therapy scheme is used. First, a single dose of a drug that can paralyze helminths. After 3 days, another drug is used, which helps to completely destroy the worms and remove them from the body. It is necessary to follow the instructions exactly so that the therapy is effective and short-lived.
Enterosorbents are indicated during the treatment of helminthiasis. This will reduce the intoxication of the body due to the destruction of worms.
Folk remedies in the treatment of helminthiasis
You can effectively remove worms from the body at home. It is enough to apply one of the following recipes:
- Pumpkin seed infusion.The seeds are peeled and thoroughly ground in a mortar. Pour the resulting mass into a container and pour water, you can add a spoonful of honey or jam for taste. Drink the remedy after waking up, divided into 7 receptions within 1 hour. After 2. 5 hours, a laxative is taken, after another 40 minutes an enema is given.
- Garlic infusion.Chop several heads of garlic and pour a glass of vodka. Insist the mass for 2 weeks in a dark place. The resulting product is taken twice a day before meals, 1 - 2 tablespoon for 5 - 6 days.
- Infusion of onions.Peel and chop the onion, then pour warm boiled water. Let the mixture steep for 10 hours in a dark place. In the morning, the agent is filtered and drunk on an empty stomach.
It is important to remember:effective therapy requires not only eliminating worms, but also leveling the consequences of their vital activity (anemia, allergies, intestinal dysbiosis).
Prevention of helminthiasis
It is possible to prevent the penetration of worms. To do this, it is enough to adhere to simple rules:
- exclude any contact with stray animals;
- compliance with personal hygiene rules;
- to exclude contact of small children with animals;
- make sure that the child does not pick up objects on the street;
- avoid eating outside;
- regularly clean the house;
- wash hands thoroughly after being outdoors;
- treat vegetables and fruits with boiling water before eating;
- eat only cooked and fried meat and fish;
- drink boiled water;
- regularly consume garlic, onions, pumpkin seeds.
An important preventive measure is the use of anthelmintic drugs once every 6 months. Doctors advise to conduct such a course in October and March annually. And remember, if you suspect the development of helminthiasis, you should consult a doctor, and not take the medicine yourself.